Sunday, January 9, 2011

Winter Flowers

The weather here in SoCal has been rather dreary lately.  We have had more rain than usual and lots of overcast cold (by our standards) days.  I know the rest of the nation experiences way more of this weather than we do, but it is just not what we are used to.  I am not complaining. I know that we are very spoiled here, with an average temp of 75 and sun 355 days of the year.

One thing that I love this time of year is winter flowers.  You know the flowers that only bloom during the winter, or at least do in California.  My favorite is the Camellia.  It is a hearty bush with yearlong waxy green leaves and a beautiful bloom in the winter months.  They are easy to grow and inexpensive, if you buy a 1 gallon plant.  The blooms come in singles, doubles, and a variety of colors.  They bloom for days when cut and brought inside.  I love to float them in a glass bowl.  They are a beautiful reminder that spring is around the corner and the overcast days will be a thing of the past soon!

1 comment: