Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Batch Cooking

I love to cook!  Not cook like Julia Child or Martha Stewart, I mean who has 10 hours to make a cake. I love to cook in large quantities and really accomplish a bunch of meals in one day.  Some people call it Batch Cooking, others call it Freezer Meals…either way, it is cooking that I love to do.
I may not be able to balance a check book, my husband does that, actually it was part of our marriage agreement.  I said, “Will you balance my check book for the rest of my life?” he said, “No, I will balance it for the rest of MY life” I said, “I do” and the rest is history.  I can’t balance a check book, but I can make 10 dinners in one morning!  I feel a great sense of accomplishment when this is done and I can look in my freezer with a big beautiful smile and a sigh at the glorious packed shelves holding casserole dishes and Ziploc Freezer bags filled with meals!
I will share a recipe that I made today.  It is a family recipe from my mom-in-law.  She is a great cook and always shares recipes with me.  This is great to make because it is easy and you can make 1 or 5 very easily.  When I make it I always make at least 2, one for dinner and one to freeze.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (whatever you have around works)
12 corn tortillas
1 can green chilies diced
1 can cream of chicken soup
½ can milk
Shredded Mexican style cheese
In a large saucepan mix the soup, milk, chilies, and chicken together over medium heat.  Tear the tortillas into pieces and mix into the soup mixture until well blended.  Layer in a 9x9 pan: tortilla mixture, shredded cheese, tortilla mixture, shredded cheese.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes uncovered.
This is also a great recipe to make with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment