Friday, March 25, 2011

Rainy Day Play

Rainy, rainy day.  The kids don’t have school today and we are socked in by drippy, rainy, wet weather…our 3rd day of it.  Time to be creative with how to entertain the kids and their friends that are over.
I could just turn on all the screens in our house: TV, DSi, Leapster, 2nd TV, Wii, but that isn’t good parenting, right?  So, I always keep some toys stored away in the garage for days like today.
My husband doesn’t like keeping extra toys stored in his “perfectly neat, we can always park 2 cars in it” garage, but I insist that we store some compactly for emergency entertainment.  I have a bin of Lincoln Logs, a bin of Playmobil, my old Cabbage Patch kids and their wardrobes, a Barbie plane, and a basket of the all important Playdoh.  As I type this blog entry, I have boys playing Lincoln Logs in one room and little girls playing Playmobil in another room!
When you are ready to get rid of some of your kids toys, try to put some aside in an area that they won’t see, to use for emergency play purposes.  It is surprising what 9 year old boys will play with when they can’t go outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment